Training Opportunity by Tonga Offshore Mining Ltd (TOML)
Tonga Offshore Mining Ltd (TOML) is offering two (2) geological / environmental at-sea on-board placements to candidates with a background and interest in geology, marine science, marine biology, and benthic ecology.
The offshore geological and environmental campaign will be in partnership Maersk Supply Services and will be conducted within the TOML contract area in the Clarion Clipperton Zone. The port of departure will be San Diego (USA). The exact dates of the campaign will be confirmed in early 2021 but it is expected that the campaign will take place in November 2021 with a duration of six (6) weeks. Candidates will be provided with as much prior notice as possible.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Education: Possess at a minimum a relevant bachelor’s degree in geology, oceanography, marine science, marine biology, environmental science, ecology or have an equivalent educational background;
- Demonstrated interest in marine geology or science (particularly the deep sea), the seafloor minerals industry and ocean sustainability, this could be from an environmental or scientific perspective;
- Language: Demonstrate a sound knowledge of English;
- Other: Be able to secure a VISA to the United States of America.
At the end of the training, trainees will be required to submit a report to TOML and the International Seabed Authority outlining the training completed; the benefits of the training opportunity; the knowledge gained; and how the training will advance their career and or further studies.
TOML undertakes to cover the following costs associated with the training:
- Travel, insurance, accommodation, VISA costs and meals;
- Offshore survival training;
- Offshore medical; and
- Any reasonable out-of-pocket expenses incurred by the candidate in relation to this training programme.
should be submitted by the 31 March 2021 deadline through:
- the online training portal. Users applying through the online portal (see below), must remember to upload a copy of a passport photo, the signed nomination form, degree/certificate, résumé/CV and other supporting document; OR
Application must be accompanied by:
- Application Forms (docx| pdf) to be completed by the applicant;
- Nomination Form (docx| pdf) to be completed by the institution or governmental department;
- Copy of degree certificate;
- Proof of proficiency in English;
- Copy of CV or Résumé; and
- A one-page statement of purpose demonstrating interest in the seafloor minerals industry and ocean sustainability (this could be from an environmental, engineering, or scientific perspective)
One of the Voluntary Commitments made by the ISA at the UN Ocean Conference 2017 was “Enhancing the role of women in marine scientific research through capacity building” – we therefore strongly encourage suitably qualified females to apply for these training opportunities.